Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

How do I disable valet mode on a 2005 escape with remote…

Customer Question
How do I disable valet...
How do I disable valet mode on a 2005 escape with remote start. When I try to start using remote it honks twice then starts alarm and theft flashes. It will start with remote when key is in ignition.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
1/17/2018
Ford Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am assuming that this is an aftermarket remote start system. Am I correct?

No. This is a factory remote start and alarm

I am sorry. I am not being provided any information for this system in your 2005 escape. I will opt out so that another expert can assist you.

Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 6 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Do you still need help with your remote start?

The car has been put into valet mode. I can remote start it with the key in the ignition but when I try outside of the car it engages the alarm.

Ok. Near the remote start module there is a black override button. Usually mounted up under the dash. Have you ever found this button?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

No.

For it to be put into and out of valet mode the override button needs to be pressed with the ignition off, and held while the ignition is turned ON. But since the horn beeps twice I do not suspect you are in valet mode. 2 horn beeps and failure to start is an indication of a problem with the hood safety switch under the hood. Usually mounted to the hood. If there is a poor ground or chaffed wire you will get 2 beeps. Recommend checking that hood switch and wiring first.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Can you please explain it for me and I will look tomorrow. Not sure that is the problem since the remote start works with the key in the ignition. I have read that all ford remote start and alarm systems have a valet mode that can be set to disarm the remote start. I just can't find out how to get it turned off.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!
I will look tomorrow. It's too dark to try to figure it out now. I will let you know what I find. Thank you.

Sounds good. Note that even after rating my response time with the stars above, this chat session will remain open so you can bookmark this page and come back and let me know results, etc...

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Hi. Have you made progress getting your remote start working yet? Did you check the hood switch I mentioned?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Checked the hood and don't see a switch that would have anything electrical connected to it. After it honks twice, it sets the alarm off and honks constantly until I put the key in the ignition or press the brake. I don't see a override button under the dash either.

If you have a remote start there should be a hood switch. The two honks indicate an issue with the remote start thinking that the hood is ajar or the brake pedal is being depressed. There should be a small switch mounted to the hood itself usually on the drivers side. When the hood is up the switch lets the remote start know.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

I'll look again on Monday and let you know. I'm pretty busy until then. Thanks for the help.
I found the override button. Held it while starting the car. It now honks once then the alarm goes off. Looked for a switch under the hood again and don't see anything that would have electrical wiring to it.

I wonder if when they installed it, they did not use the hood switch. it is a safety feature. Because you can just supply the hood switch wire with ground all the time and that will work but the car will remote start when the hood is up.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

I don't know. What does the one honk before the alarm goes off indicate? I don't know why it isn't working anymore. I replaced the battery about 8 months ago and that's the only thing that I know may have caused it to quit working

The one horn beep indicates the vehicle got the remote start signal. Like i mentioned, 2 chirps after a failed remote start indicates the vehicle thinks the hood is open.

Also, if you try and remote start it say, while you are sitting inside, when the ignition comes on does the theft light on the dash blink fast?