Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The brake pedal went to the floor but the brake reservoir is…

The brake pedal went...

The brake pedal went to the floor but the brake reservoir is still full

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried cleaning and oiling the brake pedal's pivot under the dash?

I checked all of that out last night all seems good under dash. could the problem be with the brake booster itself

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1995 f150 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I hope to. problem happened on my way home from work yesterday at about this time. the brake pedal went to the floor just as it would if a line had rusted out. but as I stated the reservoir is still full

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't believe so, thanks

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

This is usually the result of a bad master cylinder. If you're still full of fluid, then the master cylinder isn't pushing the fluid like it should. This could be due to pitting in the cylinder or the cups that push the fluid have gone bad. It's not that uncommon because over time moisture gets in due to condensation and causes the pitting. I would put a new master cylinder on it. The booster, if it fails, will make the brake pedal rock hard and if it's losing vacuum could cause the engine to run rough.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me.

Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Mike i changed the master cylinder as suggested and unfortunetly for me the brake pedal still goes to the floor as before. Any ideas?

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before you installed it?

Ok

What I would do next is lock the rubber brake hoses. They sell line lock pliers, or you can use vise grips. Just don't damage the rubber. Then press the brake pedal. If it still drops, there is still an issue with the master cylinder or air between the master and the calipers.

If not, then remove one at a time until the pedal goes to the floor. When it does, go to that area to look for a problem. Either a leaking wheel cylinder or brake caliper or something that's not working properly.

I really expected the master cylinder to be the problem here.

I went thru a whole quart of fluid bleeding just the brakes alone and had nothing but clear fluid. And like yesterday the resevoir level has not changed. I'm baffled��

Try locking the lines and see what you come up with. It is baffling for sure, unless you got a bad master cylinder. Which is possible.

Will do, thanks

You're welcome and please let me know how that goes.

I will, thanks again