Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 Triton V-10mstarting issues. Occasionally cranks, but…

2001 Triton V-10mstarting issues...

2001 Triton V-10mstarting issues. Occasionally cranks, but will not fire. Squirt starter fluid into throttle body, and it starts right up and ruins great. Replaced MAS and IACV already.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

One started is runs extremely smoothly, no codes and all cylinders firing.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '01 Ford?

F250

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced MAF and IACV

1/17/2018
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Usually, when you have to spray starting fluid into the throttle to get it started but it runs o.k. from there this indicates a fault with a weak fuel pump.Your engine and injectors need max fuel pressure on start up and not so much when running.So if the fuel pressure is low this will cause the hard start or need for starting fluid to get it to start.

You will need to have a fuel pressure test done to see if the fuel pressure is low.If found low the fuel pump will need to be replaced.Your fuel pressure needs to be between 35 and 45 psi.If any lower then 35 psi then the pump needs to be replaced.In some cases, you can rent a fuel pressure test gauge from a local parts store to test this pressure.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician
I checked the fuel pressure, and when initially hooked up it showed 20 psi, but as soon as the engine started it went to 35 psi. On switching off the engine I bled to gauge to 0, then when the ignition was turned back on the pressure went to 35 psi. Cycled several times, turned engine on and off and it always went back to 35psi with ignition on, engine not running and with engine running. Is there something that affects the fuel pump after it starts after a long stop?

The fuel pressure regulator can leak down internally allowing fuel pressure to bleed off when the engine is shut off and then restarted causing this fault.It should be located on the fuel injector rail with the injectors on top of the engine.It will have a vacuum hose connected/leading to it.

Thanks Pete

I looked at the fuel rails and can not see a pressure regulator on either side. I could not find an diagram online either that locates it on a 2001 F250 with the 6.8ltr V10. Where is it located?

Do you see this bracket and fuel pressure regulator on top of the engine at all?The regulator according to my info is located under this bracket.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ifuhg4lfvwg8hh/f-01-21.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6c7kl7t925nb8c/fp-01-21.png?dl=0

I think I found it. It would not have been possible to place it in a harder place to get to. I'll need to get a new one to see how it connects as it is 90% blocked from view at the back of the engine next to the fire wall. The A0013498 looks like what I have, but all I can see is the vacuum line on the top and the one bolt head. What I can't tell is how the connection is made to the fuel side. I stuffed my camera back there and took the attached picture but I could not get a shot that would show the bottom.

Here is the procedure I show for replacing this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ti998bybnjiq7bu/fpr-01-22.pdf?dl=0

Thanks Pete