Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The steering on the Ford edge get hard after engine runs for…

The steering on the...

The steering on the Ford edge get hard after engine runs for a while

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluids?

Fluid is good

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Edge?

2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Edge yourself? What have you tried so far?

Change the rack and pinion and pump,one line was leaking and I got it repair

1/17/2018
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When you replaced the power steering pump did you have to swap over the pressure control valve on the old pump to the new pump?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.

No everything changed together all genuine parts
What else can I do

O.k., since these are all new make sure the drive belt is tight and is not worn.I have seen on some models where the belt can become worn or does not stay tensioned and can cause a slight slip around the power steering pump pulley causing this issue and in some cases, a new belt or belt tensioner corrects this fault.

The other cause with all that you have replaced is a restriction in the power steering pressure hose that leads from the pump to the steering gear/rack and pinion gear.This can restrict flow if there is any debris in it causing this fault and lastly incorrect type of power steering fluid can also cause this issue.These are the only things left that would cause this fault.Below is the diagnosis chart of your vehicles symptoms to help locate the cause here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vm48m9hueocfwbh/s-01-17.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tke5wah2nxb5ehm/st-01-17.png?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

I will check out the pressure hose and let you know

Sounds good.These are the only things left that would cause this fault here.Wide after market wheels and tires can also cause this issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician