Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Fast flashing OD light while driving. Light just came on,

Fast flashing OD light...

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

Overdrive light steadily flashes fast.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2002 Explorer 4.6 awd/4*4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

This just occurred, I'm driving.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Trans won't perform 2-3 shift when vehicle cold without keeping it part throttle. Also when downshifting to pass, trans doesn't then up shift to next gear-redlines if you don't modulate throttle.

1/17/2018
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

Ok.

The overdrive light flashing means you have a code stored in the transmission control module. You need a scan tool that is capable of reading codes in the TCM. You could try to take this to an auto parts store and ask for a free scan. Once you have the codes you will be able to have a better idea of the issue.
This transmission has issues with the servo bore seal and fluid will leak past it. There is a repair kit available for this.

Original trans replaced @ 90-100k. This is a Jasper and fluid has been changed as required.

Did they give you a warranty on the transmission?

Trans was replaced in 2011, and also vehicle now has 149,716 miles. It's out of warranty.
Will my regular scanner work to pull the TCM codes?

Possibly but I am unsure as all scan tools are different.

Do you know that there is additional charge for phone service? The sight will automatically ask if you want a phone call.

Dan, ASE Certified Technician
I had parked vehicle for about 15 min, restarted and have driven 4 or 5 miles, light did not come back on. I am 5 min from home and pocket scanner.
Made it home ok will scan now.
roy
Phone call session started

ok

Dan, ASE Certified Technician