Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have changed my starter, starter switch and solenoid on…

I have changed my starter...
I have changed my starter, starter switch and solenoid on fender. I have been looking at shat I have done already to make sure it is done properly. The question I have is on the solenoid on the fender there is 4 wires, only 2 lugs, these wires are brown or tan in color. what side of solenoid do they go on? Hot all the time? Or hot when key is on?
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/16/2018
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

The left side of the starter solenoid should have the battery cable going to the starter, the other post will have all the other wires and the battery cable from the battery positive post.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Think of any reason why ignition switch wire going to solenoid on fender would be hot in the run position, not just the cranking position???

You are talking about the small wire that goes on the small post?
Just to make sure we are on the same page.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No calls. vehicles breaking down, running out of money. Yes small wire on small post.

The call message I automated from the website, not me. I stick with online chat like this.

If the wire is hot in accessory and start, check the ignition switch and wiring to it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just put a brand new ignition switch in. It could be bad or wiring going to it?

Do you have a manual or automatic transmission?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
automatic transmission. I was talking to moose. We eliminated switch. He had me unplugging fuses and plugs. We made it to the clutch jumper switch. I couldn't find that? Anything beyond that point you can think Of?

The transmission range sensor could also be the issue. I have seen that.

Moose (Chris) is a good man and is very knowledgeable with vehicles.

Try this. Unplug the range sensor on the transmission, with the key turned on, not start, check for power on the DARK BLUE/ORANGE striped wire at the range sensor connector with the switch unplugged.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does that wire go to the clutch jumper switch? We eliminated the transmission range sensor.

The clutch jumper switch is located between the ignition switch and the transmission range sensor.

If you do not have power on the DARK BLUE/ORANGE striped wire with the range sensor unplugged, then the jumper switch is not the problem.

It should be located to the left of the brake pedal under the dash.

Below is what the connector looks like.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a 2000 Ford F250 Superduty,***** automatic, and a 7.3L powerstroke
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any common problems that you have seen, that would cause this?

Either the ignition switch or the transmission range sensor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will have to check the transmission range sensor tomorrow. The switch is brand new.

Check for power with the key on and the range sensor unplugged.

The wire at the range sensor will be the DARK BLUE/ORANGE striped wire. Below is a picture of the connector to see the location of the wire.

If you have 12 volts on that wire with the key in the run position, we will have to check back from the range sensor to the ignition switch which includes the clutch jumper. But if you do not have power on that wire with the range sensor unplugged, check for power on the TAN/RED striped wire with the key in the run position and the range sensor unplugged.

The blue wire is pin #10 and the tan wire is pin #12

A. Penland
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not have power on the dark blue/orange wire or the tan wire, with key in run position. Had power on green orange wire next to the dark blue/orange wire with range sensor unplugged. Any thoughts??
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
10 and #12 are both dead when key is in run position. #9 is hot with key in run position. The plug for transmission range sensor is black around these wires, like it was burnt. Does this mean I need a new transmission range sensor??

Plug the sensor back in, disconnect the wire from the starter solenoid so the engine will not start. And check the wires again the same way. Use a paperclip to probe the wiring connector from the back side of the connector where the wires go into it. With it being burnt and black, it may be the problem. You should replace the sensor and the wiring connector. Ford still sells the wiring connector. It comes with wires to splice into the factory harness.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could it be something else after sensor? According to wiring diagram we have come very close to starter in making a complete circuit.

Without testing the range sensor plugged in and checking the wires for voltage, it is hard to say.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay I will have to try that tomorrow. It is pretty dark right now. I will get back with you after.

I'll be back on line tomorrow evening. I work at my dealership during the day, and yesterday I had internet issues, but it is fixed now.

A. Penland
A. Penland