Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Transmission slipping a little. Just this week I noticed...

transmission slipping a little ...

transmission slipping a little

Mechanic's Assistant: This is potentially serious. How long has it been going on?

Just this week I noticed... I can feel a slipping like sensation when under a load every couple minutes or so just for 1/2 second

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

Ford escort wagon... i actually borrowed it from a friend

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Escort?

Its a 99

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escort yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just started noticing problem, Im out of state in vegas area and might want to fix it before I go back if it gets any worse... thought it was clutch slipping but it changes gears fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I stalled it in gear the other day before i started noticing the problem

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/14/2018
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

ok

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:
Check fluid level and color. Make appropriate repairs.
Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if
applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and
this is the easiest way to check them.
Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside
pan. Check valve body and clutches visually.
Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just
were a bit low on fluid.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any other questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

im not sure where to check fluid level on the manual transmission

There is a nut on the side of the trans. Left or right side, you need to get under the vehicle or put it on a hoist. Seeing that it's a manual, there are no shift solenoids to check, but you do need to check clutch operation and clutch fluid.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor