Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It is jerking from time to time - seems to be transmission…

It is jerking from...

It is jerking from time to time - seems to be transmission related.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

I had it to a Ford dealer a couple months ago. I also checked it when I noticed the problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2009 Ford Escape V6 4Wheel drive

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

I don't know if I will or not - depends on what the fix or possible fixes could be. The vehicle is new to me so I don't know the maintenance history. I wonder if the trans fluid has ever been replaced for starters.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The engine light is on but I believe that is unrelated.

1/11/2018
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Here's where we need to start.

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:
Check fluid level and color. Make appropriate repairs.
Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if
applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and
this is the easiest way to check them.
Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside
pan. Check valve body and clutches visually.
Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just
were a bit low on fluid.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

My level of ability is not high and I don't have scanning equipment. Should I replace the fluid and see if it improves before going to a shop?

You can try that, but you may still have the same problem afterwards. It's cheaper in the long run to diagnose it and fix it right the first time. Guesses can get expensive.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and jeep our link in case you need me again later on.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor