Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a question about how the ECU can be reprogrammed with…

Customer Question
I have a question about...
I have a question about how the ECU can be reprogrammed with a new tune. I have a 2003 Ford Focus 2.0L Zetec Engine with a UFE2 ECU and I wasn't able to communicate to it using a SCT X4 flasher. This X4 uses CAN Bus to start a conversation and my car doesn't have CAN Bus SCT and the vendor that sold it to me swears that the unit will work on my car. They all claim I have some bad wiring on the ODB2 port and that I have to fix it. I'm the original owner and have never had any wiring done on the car. I just have some questions unless you think you have a fix for it.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
People say I should pull the ECU and isolate it from the car.SCT says I should pull the ECU and ship it to Florida for them to test. Or find someone with a Ford IDS system and have them try and make a connection.So when the Ford dealer programs a Replacement ECU, does this J2534 pass through unit connect straight to the ECU? Or does it still go through the ODB2 port?Is the PATS system a seperate part of the ECU?
I attached a photo of my ODB2 port with its wiring connectors. I know what each pin does.I was by a Mazda designer that the J1850PWM lines are read only for scan tools, and that I needed CAN Bus in order to use a flasher.
Turbo Tom says this after an ECU lookup:You have a flashable ECU now UFE2 is a flashable ECU Code through the OBDII port I have 37 of them in my list I have Tuned out of the 12 ECU codes there is for that yearYou dont need a new ECU , not at this point anyway , Need to find the problem first
There are lots of wire taps on the ECU, under the steering wheel, and a couple under the driver side carpet. I had the car Lo Jacked when I bought it, but I don’t know where it is or what they tapped into for 12 volts.I have Relay tie strapped under the steering wheel and wire tapped in. I think it’s a RF ID device for the keys.Then I have this white single row 16 wire connector that I saw Ford service use with some reading device while he test drove the car. 4 of the wires goes over to the ECU and taps in below the unit.VIN 3PAHP37353P114683Perhaps one of you guys has ran across this before.
VIN 3FAHP37353P114683
1/9/2018
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 3 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, your vin doesnt come up. This is an aftermarket PCM you are trying to reflash or the scan tool you are using wont communicate with the PCM? Does the car run now? Have you tried a different scan tool to test communication?

The complete conversation is here on this forum thread.
I attached a picture of the VIN number so I don’t type it wrong again, stupid iPhone.I don’t mean to rude, I have to travel now for bowling tonight. We start bowling at 8:PM and it’s raining as well. I’ll try and answer the question in detail after 8. Please read the thread as it’s a recording of everything that I have done and others have contributed to tonight.http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/#/topics/781033?page=3

The link you sent me takes me to a forum page not a thread. Can you answer my questions directly please?

This is stock 2003 Ford Focus and I’m the original owner. Stock ECU and stock wiring.
It’s a 2003 Ford Focus with a 2.0L Zetec Engine and 4 speed automatic transmission.So I have a ODB2 port that is required by federal law for consumers to be able to read the ECU for trouble codes. This works fine with my Innova Code reader. It links via J1850PWM protocol and downloads info.The problem is I can’t get a SCT Flash X4 external programmer to link to the ECU. Everybody else can with the same ECU, but not me.The question is, I’m trying to figure out if my ECU has CAN Bus, if it’s flashable, where the tune can be changed and I can change the parameters such as wheel size.Is the OBD2 port I’m looking at is the original port, or is it a dumbed down port place there by LoJack. In other words, perhaps I do have a port with CAN Bus, but an extension is plugged in and a modified port is snapped in its place.SCT says to pull the ECU and send it to Them for inspection. Isolate the ECU from the car. Bench test it. Or find a Ford IDS system and see if that can connect. If it can’t, then I have a problem in the car somewhere.These are my Theories:
My car has a CAN Bus. But something is causing a fault.The 3.8V measured off OBD2 port pins 2/10 for J1850PWM need to be 5V and I have a voltage drop.The SCT X4 sends a pulse width data packet, in which time measured in milliseconds that represents 1s and 0s can not be understood by the ECU to start a conversation and no reply is sent back.That J1850PWM is read only, it’s not bi directional but only works in a single direction. CAN Bus is required for that request. I must connect using the CAN Bus protocol.My ECU is locked, and requires a special pulse width sequence to talk at a different level to unlock the ECU.The Ford dealership or factory installed an extra diagnostic port, a white 16 pin straight connector with a little floppy drive type power connector that interferes with my ODB2 port and causes a voltage drop or changed PWM timing of data packets. Maybe their using this to talk to the ECU in CAN Bus and the OBD2 port is just dumb down for simple Code readers. What is this thing actually for?Once again I attached a photo of the OBD2 port that is in the snap in under the fuse box panel. Earlier I attached a photo of the VIN number, I will attach it again.I’m clueless on this. I don’t know what is Stock and suppose to be there, and what was added by the dealership or factory.There are so many wire taps under the dash and strange stuff. I didn’t put them there. It’s was always that way ever since I first looked in 2011.I don’t know how to proceed on this. What is suppose to be there and what was added.The only idea I have is to pull the ECU and make a bench test rig. Isolate it from the car and make a alternative OBD2 port with CAN Bus.But maybe since you worked on this stuff for a living, you might have some secret insight and can enlighten me here and point me in the right direction.I’ve got about 4 people thinking about this. Others won’t touch it it with a 10 foot pole. There are very few people out there that know this stuff.I don’t understand why me and this copy of the car. Is it a CA thing? Do CA PZEV cars have a lock on the ECU.
I don’t expect a fix. Just clarity on what’s suppose to be there based on your observations. Explanation of this white connector strip. What is this relay tie strapped under the steering wheel with wire taps. Is it a RF transceiver for easing the key code.Is the Ford IDS with the J something pass through a valid test? What will it prove?Is the ECU CAN Bus?If I disconnect the Instrument cluster can I still flash the ECU?How far does CAN Bus reach out on this model. The instrument lights, turn signals, brake lights.!Will a Ford Brand Service book get into this level of detail?Think about it. And thanks for taking the question. I really appreciate it. I just don’t have the resources to research or a hot line number. I’m not in the industry.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician