Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 taurus was driving fine stopped quickly at store when i…

2003 taurus was driving...

2003 taurus was driving fine stopped quickly at store when i started driving again after 1 mile transmission stopped working no forward or reverse about 83000 on vehical

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes car runs w lights working

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Still waiting for a tow /no signs of anything leading up to this

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Have nothing else yet

1/8/2018
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Check and record the transmission fluid level after the engine has been off for at least 10 minutes. It should show overfull. Now start the engine and check the fluid again. It should drop down to the normal zone. If it does not drop or only drops slightly then the drive gear in the torque converter for the front pump is stripped out and the pump is not turning. The torque converter will need to be replaced and the pump driveshaft will need to be inspected.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
thanks KZ ill give that a try are there any fuses or relays that could cause this

Sorry no, The transmission should engage even if it completely disconnected electrically.

Ok thank you again

Your welcome!

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech