Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I recently got a 2011 Ford 4x4, the 4wd shifter is in the…

Customer Question
I recently got a...

I recently got a 2011 Ford 4x4, the 4wd shifter is in the floor. I cant get it to move. The owners manual is in French. How dose it shift

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?

I don't know but the shifter seems to be mechanical

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '11 Ford?

I guess it is an xl, it is a super cab, it was sold in canada

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cab yourself? What have you tried so far?

There is nothing wrong with the truck that I know of it only has 48000 miles on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I just need to know how to shift it since I don't read French.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
1/8/2018
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

The brake switch allows the shift lock solenoid to engage so you can take it out of park. If you are pressing the brakes when you try to shift it, check and see if you have brake lights. If not, it could be a problem with the stop light fuse.

Please check this and let me know.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have tried it. I dont know if it makes any difference but this is a canadian truck, it has a mechanical shifter in the floor and I cant get it to move.

I assume you mean its an automatic with the shift on the floor, can you check and see if the brake lights are working when you press the brake pedal.

Also, is it an F150?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
automatic, yes , the shift to 4wd is on the floor, 4h,4l,2h, in a boot on the floor hump, hooked to linkage to engage

Ok, so the shifter to get it out of park is also on the floor right?

If so, check fuse #42 and fuse#18 in the fuse box inside the truck.

Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is automatic, the shifter is on the collum, park and all. the shifter to put it in 4wd is on the floor.

OK, fuse 18 for the column shift. If it won't shift into 4wd that would be a different fuse, or possibly an actual problem with the shifter itself. I'll have to look that up. If that's what you are getting at then it isn't going to have anything to do with the brake switch.

I am going to have to open this up to the other experts. I don't have any info on the 4wd shifter set up.

Please don't rate or reply to me as it will lock it back to me.

I'm sorry for my confusion.

Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 1 month ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Hello, Ford technician here.

Can you give me the VIN# ***** your F150.

A. Penland
A. Penland