Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Electrical system abruptly turned off in mid-start last

Customer Question
Electrical system abruptly turned...

Electrical system abruptly turned off in mid-start last night. Just as an experiment, I removed battery cables and put them back on, and the lights all came on again. So I put the key in the switch, and everything died again the instant I hit the "start" position. Wow. Can you do that again? Yep. Did the same thing another time.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Running board, dash, normal stuff that lights up when you open doors or put key in switch

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2000 Expedition

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

Don't know where to start. I have to at least get it running to get to a shop, or have it towed. What I have tried so far is what I described above. Otherwise, it is totally dead.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/8/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 month ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Do you have a volt meter so we can do some testing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no. brother will be here later with meter.

Later in an hour or tonight?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Later this afternoon. We are trying to wait for freezing rain to stop
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, I shouldn't have done this. Please just forget I asked.

Okay, let's continue tonight once he gets there.

Duplicate the issue, when there is no power to the vehicle see if the battery cables have battery voltage that matches the battery posts and see if any high amp fuses under the hood also match battery voltage. Your readings should be 12.6. Reply when ready.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Ron, ASE Certified Technician