Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Check engine light is on. Dealer wants $950 to replace fuel…

Customer Question
Check engine light is...

Check engine light is on. Dealer wants $950 to replace fuel rail pressure sensor in a 2010 Ford Explorer. I think the code was Z16G. Does that sound right?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced fuel filter and had fuel injectors cleaned in a shop and the light went off for 2 days. Now back on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Key is also stuck in the ignition switch.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/8/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Can you please recheck the fault code, the one you have listed is not a valid fault code.

Need engine size as well, please.

The dealer description is fuel rail pressure sensor. Those are the only digits. It is a v6

Okay, normally fuel sensor faults should set codes P0190 through P0193. If you are sure the fuel pressure sensor is at fault then the pricing is extremely high to replace it. The new OEM factory sensor lists for $176 and the labor to remove and replace it calls for 1.5 hours so at best, ***** ***** to replace it should be at least half of what they're telling you.See the parts listing, price and labor in the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xluzfg0z476x18w/FPS%20Jan%208.pdf?dl=0

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician