Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am looking into buying a used Diesel Truck. I don’t have…

Customer Question
I am looking into...

I am looking into buying a used Diesel Truck. I don’t have much money and want to use the truck just for hauling stuff to the dump and so forth.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?

There is this Ford 250 7.3 diesel for 1000 $ but it runs rough , has no transmission fluid, has a leak on the fuel filter ,valve cover leaking , needs new front tires and so forth . You get the drift. Can I put in a 1000 $ to make it good enough to do what I need it to do ?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your E250?

It is a 1994 model. I don’t know when it was serviced the last time . The guye wanted 2000 for the truck and I told him no way . I told him not more then 1000$

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

YES , I will fix it my self. But the question is , is it worth it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really, The realty is , that I thinking that finding a truck for 1000$ that is not breaking down after the first time you use it is hard to find

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
1/8/2018
Ford Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. All of the issues that you are having seems to be pretty straight forward. The rough running is likely due to faulty glow plugs and/or the fuel leak. The plug and oil should be changed regardless so you know where the maintenance stands. The valve cover gaskets are inexpensive, and if you are doing this yourself, that's even better. The little things like this can be easily taken care of. The only thing that would have me worried is the fact that the transmission has no fluid. Before purchasing the vehicle you should fill the transmission and see how it pulls. If the transmission is in good condition, then this vehicle would be worth it. If not, then you maybe able to find a used transmission for a low price to put in. This would be my main concern since everything else is easily doable.

.

I have attached part and labor information for you. The labor pricing is listed in hours and depend on the hourly rate of the shop(if you decide not to do the work).

I believe the vehicle to be a good investment. Especially if the transmission functions.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Sorry , just getting to read your info. Thank you. Well it is a mixed bag. There maybe other thing that I am not aware of but if the transmission is ok and I can get the motor running ok it may be worth it

I believe that if the transmission is okay then it will be worth it. The motor in this vehicle is very durable.

Just as a reminder, if you have found this information helpful, please do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thanks again.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician