Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Cold weather hit last week, I noticed a whine occurring when…

Customer Question
Cold weather hit last...

Cold weather hit last week, I noticed a whine occurring when I depressed the clutch pedal on my 95 F 150. The whine went away after engine warmed up. Today, the clutch pedal went all the way to the floor without disengaging the clutch and stayed all the way down. Had to pop it out of gear. The hydraulic line was intact, no visible leakage at connection or clutch, master cylinder was full to mark. Pulled the pedal back out, clutch worked properly after that. Whine happened sometimes when operating clutch, sometimes not. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No slipping, no difficulty getting into gear. It is a transmission from 95, not sure how old the slave cylinder is but it has the new style disconnect with the clip. No tool required to remove hyd line. The master cylinder is 2 years old.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 9-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

At work right now, plan on doing the work myself. Inspected the clutch linkage inside the cab, seems bolted tight to the firewall, clutch rod attached to the clutch pedal, forgot to check about the plastic insert was intact at the connection. noticed the clutch rod goes into the master cylinder at a slight angle but no signs of any fluid leakage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thinking of bleeding down system with heavy duty DOT 3 brake fluid in case some air was pulled in past an old seal on the slave cylinder. Other than that, no.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
1/8/2018
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Pete, Mechanic

I think you have a 2 part problem. The whine was from the clutch release bearing. The noise went away when the grease in the sealed bearing heated up and lubed the bearing. The clutch drop was caused by the brake fluid bypassing the primary seal in the clutch master cylinder. Both problems are related to the cold.I dont think it pulled any air at the slave because it started to work ok after you pulled up on the pedal. Once air gets in it wont get out untill you manually bleed it. Is it a rebuilt master cyl?

Thank you, ***** ***** cylinder was new from Advance Auto. I'm wondering then if the slight misalignment of the clutch pedal shaft to the master cylinder is pushing the piston in the master cylinder to one side, the cold stiffened up the seals, allowing the fluid to bypass. the clutch was also replaced 2 years ago at the same time as master cylinder.

The shaft misalignment could be a problem. Can you see why it is out of line? You are right about the cold effecting the seals. Advance parts are usually good. What kind of warranty did they give you?

The bushing between clutch pedal and pushrod partially moved over, not all the way off. Popped it back on, no more misalignment

Ok you can monitor the master cylinder push rod bushing to see if it pops out again. Has the weather warmed up where you live? Any more release bearing noise?

Clutch pedal went all the way down and no amount of pumping got pressure back. After dropping the transmission, the clutch release bearing fell apart by the spring pressure. These bearings are sealed units, no grease is required so the whining noise was imminent bearing failure, not grease warming up. Replaced master and slave cylinder, works okay now.

Yes, the bearings are sealed units, the grease is sealed in there when they are assembled. Was the bearing replaced when the clutch was replaced 2 years ago? If so it is a bit to soon for it to give out. What brand bearing was used? It is a real pain to have to redo the clutch after 2 years.