Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

One of the rear engine freeze plug is leaking, I have

Customer Question
One of the rear...

One of the rear engine freeze plug is leaking, I have removed the bolt in the plug but cannot get the rest of the plug out,

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?

Hoses are good. driving in Alabama

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2002 explorer, 4.0 engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing, the rear engine freeze plug is leaking fluid. badly. I have removed the bolt in the freeze plug but cannot get the rest of it out to replace with one,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
1/7/2018
Ford Mechanic: Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician replied 8 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician

Hello, I am Randall, Bolt? should not be a bolt in the plug unless it was changed before with a repair freeze plug, Can you take a picture of this and send to this post? thanks I need to see it,

There are two plugs on the lower rear of the engine and both have bolts. looks like original freeze plugs were replace with the expandable rubber plug.

so rubber plugs are in it? that makes more sense. This one I am unsure and I am going to opt out.

Tks, I will be waiting for an answer.
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

new tech here, with the freeze pulg like that the backside has expanded you will want to back the nut out until its almost off and pry it out with a long pry bar these things are a pain to get out and take time

Tks, I suspected that, just needed some expert advise. Both of the plugs on the rear of the engine have bolts in them. Is this a ford plug or replacements?

this is a aftermarket fix for tight areas that are hard to install a normal plug, they do them with the engine out for the regular ones from the factory, even with the special install tool its hard so they made those

I paid for phone �� call and am waiting for your call

Its not giving me that option? I dont see where its available, maybe that was with the other techs session?

It came up and said you would call because its easier than texting. I sent phone number
(###) ###-####

I have to call though the service and its not giving me that option. I dont know whats going on, is text ok ?

If I can get my money back.

yeah you just have to call customer service 1(###) ###-####they are separate from us and handle all the transactions

Ok ��, I guess I will try what you suggested. With pry bar. Tks

sure thing let me know how it goes

Will do ��