Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Engine periodically dies at low idle or cuts out at driving…

Customer Question
Engine periodically dies at...

Engine periodically dies at low idle or cuts out at driving rpm only when moisture in air. Rainy weather. Doesn't do it during dry weather. Check engine light comes on but when shut off light won't stay on to get code reading. Recently replaced cam position sencor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It doesn't blink. Stays on while running

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

99 f250 7.3 powerstroke

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just recently replaced cam sencor is all. Wondering if air filter housing is not seating tight enough.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
1/7/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Are you getting a KAM code which is for the PCM memory?

Do you run a programmer for more power?

The light on dash won't stay on after shutting engine putting key in accessory position off to get a code reading. No modifications have ever been made to engine.
Just replaced cam position sencor
Recently.

Have you tried driving it till it stalls, once it stalls the key is still in the run position, can you scan it then before the key is turned off. I am sure it is electrically related like a connector concern but we need a head start on where to look via a code.

I will try that. At the moment I have the gate valve for my water seperater removed for replacement. Was leaking fuel.

Keep in touch

I replaced the leaking water separated valve. Power washed the engine at a car wash. After driving for less than 10 minutes started running extremely rough. Barely ran. I limped it back home to my garage.I removed the new cps I replaced a month ago and replaced It again with another borg warner part. Still running extremely rough and barely running. No wire connections appear to be disconnected anywhere. Not drivable. Dunno

Still no check engine light on or codes?

No. wondering if injectors gone bad. Also replaced fuel filter today and cleaned a lot of gunk out of housing. Wondering if any went through and caused soon to fail injectors to fail275k and have never had injectors done. Was only having these symptoms when rain in air. Moving or not . Now barely running and not smoking. Lean on fuel? Dunno. Was hoping cps but not. If fuel or injectors maybe why not getting check engine light after shut down.

Since it is rain and car wash affected I doubt it os the injectors or the fuel system to blame here.

Sometimes it would die moments or seconds after starting without moving but always when rain in air.
Seattle. When we have a dry spell it operated fine. I'm wondering if it may be the electric fuel pump in the frame rail or possibly the wire connections being disrupted with humidity. As mentioned the truck didn't need to be driving to die. It was about 10 minutes of driving after pressure washed it really went to Shit and barely ran and very rough. I limped it about 3/4 miles home.

Stil no check engine light on though?

Will it pass a KOER test?

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

I'm still in the same spot with the truck. To be honest I didn't feel a huge benefit aside from your asking me if I could get the light to stay on after dying. Didn't warrant paying more gay phone call.
My situation isn't simple and I guess I was hoping for more of a specialized diesel tech. Though my truck isn't fixed im gaining quite an education on google and Utube.
Thanks

Sorry, you have not been able to do the tests I outlined so we could proceed in figuring this out.

What is a Koer test? Like a buzz test? I didn't see any other tests outlined.

Key on engine running.

The scan tool goes through every sensor and solenoid and valve and works them from min to max with the engine running and verifies the outcome received is correct.

I'm not near the scan tool at the moment to tell you the type. It belongs to a friend who was helping me. I don't believe it functions while engine is running.

All I can tell you at this time is water is getting into an electronic or connector and affecting the way it reads. We need a code or an incorrect reading from a sensor or such to know where to even begin looking for this issue.

I concur. I'm currently at work. Thankyou.

You are welcome, please keep in touch before this post times out.

When is that?

7 days from the date you asked your question.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician