Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am having issue with Ford escape 2014 ..got low pressure…

Customer Question
Hi I am having issue with...
Hi
I am having issue with Ford escape 2014 ..got low pressure in tire and then run for 2 kms and then got electric power steering failure. It was -50 degree celcius temperature. Advice me for decode that message. Ford told me to change pinion and steering assembly worth $2350 canadian dollars.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2018
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 7 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Can you solve this problem. I believe it shouldnt be whole assembly

Was it a front or rear tire that was low? Has the pressure been set and now the light is off for tire pressure?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

It was front tire. Yes tire pressure light gone after that.

Ok. The dealer must have checked codes in the steering module. Do you know the code that was received?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

U03000 -48 and 49

Ok. Did the dealer clear the codes and they continue to come back with the warning message?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

That i dont know and they didnt tell me what they did. They just come to me with that bill.
Well you guys are replying so slow.Please refund me

Sorry. I had to reboot my computer.

What should i do?

According to the u3000 code it indicates that if the steering module, has detected high resistance in turning of the steering, such as a flat tire, or even extreme cold, the steering module can turn off the power steering and set the message on the dash.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

whats the solution?

But, if the flat tire or cold conditions are not contributing to the u3000 then the entire steering assembly would need to be replaced, as the module is built into the steering gear.

So what I would do, is to make sure the codes have been cleared from the power steering module. A scan tool is needed for that. Then when all the codes are cleared and if the concern keeps happening the steering gear is going to have to be replaced. You can have the dealer do it, or an aftermarket garage that may get the part cheaper and a cheaper hourly rate.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Can we disconnect battery to erase code?
I check previous forum thats what you adviced to customers

In some cases that does work. You can try it. If the warning message remains off and the steering is working you can assume the codes cleared. If the message comes back and steering has no assist, then the fault is still present and the gear will need to be replaced.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

I am not satisfied with your solution. Thanks

Ok. Then do you have questions on this issue about how you can resolve this in your own way?

Well i am not mechanic but i though you know some tricks to repair easily but you dont.
Waste of time and money. I wouldnt recomend anyone

Sorry you feel that way. If you wanted me to discuss something specific then you can just ask.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Ok. But the code that they are retrieving indicates a control module failure for the power steering system. The only thing you can try on your own is to disconnect the battery cables and then reconnect them to clear any codes. But if the message comes back your power steering control module needs replacement. And that is part of the steering gear. There is no quick fix or trick. The control module, or steering gear, will need to be replaced. And it needs to be programmed with a dealer level scan tool. Sorry if I am not telling you anything that you dont already know, but it is just the truth about your situation with your car.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!