Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 ford colt 4wd wipers don’t work. Checked fuses.

Customer Question
Replaced multi-switch, in dash fuse...
2001 ford colt 4wd wipers don’t work. Checked fuses. Replaced multi-switch, in dash fuse box, gem module. Windshield wiper Motor is only getting power to 1-pin on the 5-pin power connector. The #4 pin. Where do I go from here?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
2001 Ford F-150 xlt 4wd
Not ford colt
1/7/2018
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

try a new "wipe run/park relay" located in the battery junction box left side under the hood.

Here is that wiring diagram,

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

I will try that and let you know.

Ok, if that works, don't forget to rate me well, so I get credit. If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

Ok. Switched out the wipe run/park relay with a different relay. Wipers still don’t work. Checked voltage at the 5-pin connector. The only pin getting 12-volts is the #2 “ignition terminal” pin. That’s with the key on and the wipers switch on high.

are u sure you didnt swap with the other wiper relay?

What happened? You had voltage at pin #4 before, now just pin #2. That tells me you grabbed the other wiper relay to use as a swap.

Put that back and use something else not associated with the wipers.

I was mistaken before when I said pin #4. After further review of the Chilton manual I was holding the connector upside down when I had checked it the first time making it appear to be pin #4. After double checking the pin layout I realized it was pin #2 that has 12-volts. And I swapped the wiper relay out with the Horn relay. I even put the wiper relay that I took out and put into the horn relays spot and honked the horn to test it. I did notice that after I swapped the relays and have the wiper switch turned on high that I now hear a click that sounds like it’s coming from the under hood fuse panel when I turn the key to the on position that I didn’t hear before. Not sure if that means anything.

Well now that changes things, now try a new or swap in a relay for the 'wiper hi/low" relay.

I go try
Tried the high low relay and still no wipers. Checked the distribution box and there was 11.97 volts going to it. Same as the park run relay 11.97 volts.
What’s next?
Just want to mention. I started to take the wiper assembly apart. Never disconnected the motor but took out the bolts to the assembly. So it’s all kind of free floating. Does the assembly need to be bolted down to the truck to make s ground by chance?

No, there is a black ground wire.

What do you mean you "Tried the high low relay"?

Does that mean you swapped a relay in to that spot, swapped that relay out or installed a new relay into that spot?

Are you sure you have voltage going to these pins?

On the run/park relay, pins 1 and 5. On the hi/low relay, pin 1. If so, remove the relays and disconnect the wiper motor and the gem, and then ohm out them wires going from them relays to them 2 items and make sure the wires aren't open or short circuited or shorted to ground.

I suggest you stop swapping relays, too and just install 2 new relays in them 2 spots.

I’ve been swapping them with the horn relay which is good. I’ll get new ones and replace them both. I’ll recheck but I’m certain there’s power going to the relays. Just not positive on the exact pins it’s going to.

At least 1 new relay unless of course you can find another to swap that you know is good.

If the horn works after you swap the one from the wiper relay into, I suppose you could also use that to swap into the other relay spot but after that also check if the horn still works.

Use the wiring diagram I gave you to determine the wire colors of those pins if you must.

Did you get them working yet?

No. I’ve been out of town visiting family all last week. I’ll start working on it again tomorrow.
Ive noticed the payment was taken off my debit card. Did you get paid? I thought payment was taken until the problem was fixed.
Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician