Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger 4X4, when I engage four wheel

Customer Question
I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger 4X4, when I engage four wheel drive, I hear click and wheel engage, but lights on instrument panel do not come on, they do come on for a few seconds when I turn ignition to start position.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?

All fluids are full

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have check fuses, all are good, switch for 4h and 4l works, just no indicator lights when four wheel is engaged

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I think that all, I just trying to figure out if there is a loose wire I should check for. What sends power to indicator light?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
1/7/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 month ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

When you shift to 4 low do you get a reduced gear ratio?

In high or low if you turn sharp on pavement and drive slowly does it bind up?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It dose bind when turning, low dosen’t Feel like it’s gearing down, other four wheel drives I have had crawl along, this dosen’

In 1st gear at 3000 rpm, what is your speed?

In 1st gear at 3000 rpm in 4 low, what is your speed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is 25 at 3000 in both regular and low four wheel

Okay, so it is not shifting into low range. Those diagnostics steps are here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqdp2ei4nb26xn5/4low.pdf?dl=0

The 4x4 lights not coming on is going to be the 4wd control module or the shift motor encoder faulty. Doing the above diagnostics most likely will resolve this concern to.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician