Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an error code of po500 the vehicle sensor. Changed it…

Customer Question
I have an error...

I have an error code of po500 the vehicle sensor. Changed it and still having the same problem. Check the wiring,taped up still the same problem on a 1999 ford Taurus 3.0 motor

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

Yes P0500 the vehicle speed sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes chains sensor on the passenger side on transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Will not get out of first gear it tries to but then it stays in first gear

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
1/7/2018
Ford Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the sensor has truly been ruled out and the signal still is not present then there has to be a wiring issue between the sensor and powertrain control module.

Using an incandescent bulb test the ground on the pink/orange wire at the sensor. If ok then the gray/black signal wire from the sensor to the PCM needs to be tested for a short to power or ground and should also be load tested. It's possible that you could have an internal failure in the PCM but a bad sensor or a wiring problem are much more common.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

It's p0500 code change the vss when driving with the live code meter I get vss speed reading. Is there a another sensor that work along with the vss sensors that can cause the problem?

Is the problem intermittent?

No

So the PCM is seeing vehicle speed and actively setting a code for not seeing vehicle speed at the same time?

The problem had to be internal PCM failure then.