Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 98 Sunfire, about a month ago my starter went. we…

Customer Question
I have a 98...

I have a 98 Sunfire, about a month ago my starter went. we replaced it with a slightly smaller one and then my battery was no longer charging and drained at an insane rate. At this time we changed out the alternator believe that to be the problem, it was not, We discovered the fusible link had actually gone and replaced it. after this, the car was no longer draining quickly, however, the car was now idling at ~1k rpm and charging at 12.4V max with no externals on and the battery light would only turn off at ~3k RPM. We thought since it was rebuilt we would change the alternator to a brand new one. today we finished installing the new one just to find the battery light still, however, the car is now idling at ~800rpm and the battery is charging at 12.7v at 2k rpm. At this point, I'm concerned about the charging voltage and the battery light. I've reset the brain and I'm waiting for a code reader from one of my friends.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?

Battery was brand new and was tested at purchase, so was the alternator

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sunfire yourself? What have you tried so far?

We've replaced all connectors going to the alternator, the start, replaced the parts above and disconnected any drains that may have been pulling off the battery. aside from what I've already listed nothing else

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No other than that i cant tell you any more

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/6/2018
Ford Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 month ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

I need for you to try this re-learn procedure next and let me know if it fixes it.

See attachment please.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me
My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor