Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Power Steering return line keeps blowing off on cold start.

Customer Question
Power Steering return line...

Power Steering return line keeps blowing off on cold start. Blows off at return line aluminum tube connection to rubber hose with low pressure hose clamp. once truck F150 2010 120000 miles warms up and I replace fluid the power steering works fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

Yes...but only when fluid is low after hose blows off. I have replaced the fluid 4 times in the last week.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

NO..... It is at my mechanic now. I am sure others have had this issue. I am troubleshooting

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really .....just want to know possible solution. It is obvious that there is a pressure regulating problem from pump for return line to be blowing at weakest point

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
1/6/2018
Ford Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 6 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

OK...Shoot

So just to get this clear , the low pressure side hose keeps blowing off? Is this correct?

can I text you a pic ?

just send it as an attachment on here thanx

I di not have the truck so let me know your opinion. I am sure this is not new to Ford

there is a relief valve built into the pump itself, has the shop checked the fluid pressure yet?

I am not sure. You would think the relief would blow unless it is frozen. This all occurs in subfreezing temps

which end of the return line blows off the rack end or reservoir end?

It is the line that runs along the top of the radiator. aluminum end to rubber hose. Fluid blows out of aluminum tube.
texted you two pics of line blown and one after I reattached

is that the pressure line or return line? If it is pressure line then it could very well be the relief valve stuck , if return line then it is blocked in the reservoir. Having the pressure tested will tell you exactly what is going on

no pics came through, have to do as an attachment

thanx for that pic it's the connection between the rubber hose and metal pipe that keeps blowing off correct?

No problem and cheap to fix as this is common to most vehicles with those stupid squeeze clamps , over time they loos tension and are just ok when new , so all you have to do is replace it with a good gear clamp and your problems are solved. If really concerned you can use two there , just dry the fittings off with brake clean first .I'll send a pic

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

OK....Thanks. I believe that is what my mechanic has done....heading there now Have a great day.

You too and please don't forget to rate my service, thank you.