Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2017 ford f450 will not communicate with ids. When plug in…

Customer Question
2017 ford f450 will...

2017 ford f450 will not communicate with ids. When plug in vcm ii comm failure to data link

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F450 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing its a new truck just trying to update to latest flash file in ids

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Tried 2 ids laptops and vcm ii but still will not communicate. Truck runs fine

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
Could be data link module behind one or fuse. Truck flashes just fine with performance programmer but not talk to ids?
1/6/2018
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 8 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

In your IDS session, does the picture of the IDS come up in the bottom right corner when it is plugged into the computer by usb?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

You mean the vcm ii red icon bottom of screen right side? Yes . When plug in vcm ii normally shuts down dash system. Once got it to somewhat work but when I get to pcm flash screen after loading update files from ford site, I then cycle key as indicated on screen I get Communication failure can't get past here.

Is the original tune back in the truck?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

I flashed back to stock and hooked up ids same issue communication failure.
I'm going to check fuses to see if obd data link is getting enough power. All I can think of
I've tried two different laptops and vcm ii s still same communication failure. So gotta be in the truck
Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 8 months ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Do you still need assistance?

Ok if that screen is coming up then the PCM s communicating. Can you post a screen shot of the actual failure?

Ill take picture in the morning. ITs just an screen that pops up after asking you to turn ignition on and off, allows pcm to power down. Says Communication Failure check cables/fix problem try again.

OK I just wanted to see if the failure was with the server or the PCM. If the IDS is capable of pulling the current calibration levels from the TCM and PCM there is no reason it shouldn't be able to load the files to the PCM/TCM, unless there is a subscription issue with the server. When IDS checks for newer calibration levels it just pings the server, it does not download the files until you select update. If after selecting update it should go back to loading files from the server before it starts to load the data to the modules.

Run the network test, then run self test continuous codes from all modules and post results here please.

Ran both test took pictures of results. Cleared codes. Multiple codes will show especially after trying program com with ids then have comm failure. But they appear to all clear . truck runs fine no dash lights.
20180113_112939.jpg2018011...jpg20180113_112934.jpg2018011...jpg20180113_112930.jpg2018011...jpg20180113_112921.jpg2018011...jpg20180113_112859.jpg2018011...jpg20180113_112336.jpg2018011...jpg20180113_112332.jpg2018011...jpg20180113_111936.jpg2018011...jpg
Hope pics help above could not get screen to print on my printer

Ok thanks. It is normal for these codes to set during programming, I don't see any reason why the PCM would communicate at all times except during programming. I suspect a server error on the provider end. I will opt out and see if any other experts have run into this before. Hopefully one will be along soon.