Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The engine will not turn over. No spark, no check engine, no…

The engine will not...

The engine will not turn over

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?

No spark, no check engine, no trouble code.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

Focus 2012

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?

I followed the procedure in the handbook -- 3 trials - -then tried the flooded engine procedure (although I did not see how that could have happened). The electronics are working, it just won't crank

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

1/6/2018
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand by using a socket on the crank pulley nut, so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.

Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch/ pushing the start button to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch/ starter button so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer
After issues with logging in on Saturay, I called the NRMA. The battery was not providing enough power and at over 5 years old was on its way out. I had it replaced.