Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2008 Ford Escape. Shifting hard and wrench light came on.

Customer Question
2008 Ford Escape. Shifting...

2008 Ford Escape. Shifting hard and wrench light came on. Ideas what could be wrong?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The wrench light. Picture of wrench on dash.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I'm a female with little mechanical skills.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

70,000 miles. Just recently had 3 oil leaks fixed about 6 weeks ago.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/6/2018
Ford Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 1 month ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

have you had it scanned for codes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Just started today.

The wrench or check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causesif you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure

john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy