Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2003 expedition 4.6 and keep getting codes p2196and…

Customer Question
I have a 2003 expedition...
I have a 2003 expedition 4.6 and keep getting codes p2196and p2198 I have replaced air filter fuel filter and mass air flow sensor.I also replaced fuel pressure damper but still coming up with the vehicle running rich.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
1/6/2018
Ford Mechanic: davehop, Ford Technician replied 8 months ago
davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Hello and welcome to JA..are you able to check a few basic things that will help me determine what may be wrong with your vehicle?
Ok...how many miles are on your vehicle?
130000
Also my fuel pressure reads 60 psi
Ok....the first thing I need you to do is look on the passenger side of the engine....on the valve cover is a plastic tube, it runs towards the back of the engine...do you see it?
I check it
Ok...that tube connects to the back of the throttle body....there is a rubber elbow where it connects....can you give that elbow a squeeze and tell me how it feels...is it hard and brittle? Is it very squishy?
Did you check the elbow?
it is squishy.
Okay you need to replace that rubber elbow... The reason is because when you start your vehicle because it is so squishy it is collapsing upon itself this is actually what's causing your vehicle to run so rich the computer is expecting to see some air coming in from the engine on the PCV tube which is that plastic tube since that rubber elbow is collapsing it's not seeing it the computer is going into a default State and it's causing your vehicle to run rich you need to replace that rubber elbow and your problem will be fixed.
Ok will replace it and let you know the results.
Ok I replaced the elbows and still get codes P2196 P2198after about 15 mins of driving. I notice that if I accelerate hard is when I can feel the problem the most as soon as I let off the accelerator the vehicle drives fine once I don't try to accelerate quickly. I also check the elbows on the drives side too and replaced them as well.
Have you ever replaced the spark plugs?
Last year sometime can't remember when.They where ford platinum.
Ok...I want you to remove both the positive and negative battery cables from the battery....when they are both disconnected touch them together for 20 seconds....then reconnect and take it for a good ride...tell me if the light comes back on
I removed the battery cables and did as you said. Drove for about 20 minutes and the light is back on. It drove fine and accelerated well until the light came back on.
are those the only codes?