Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have replaced the alternator and battery, now it will

I have replaced the...

I have replaced the alternator and battery, now it will start but shortly after the display in instrument cluster quits displaying the milage and then it stalls and wll not restart. I recharge battery it will then start and so the same thing. any ideas

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

Initially the check engine light was on but after changing a heat pcv valve fuse it doesn't, it dies at idle

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2007 Ford Taurus

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have also changed the mega fuse, checked all ground connections

1/5/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Do you own a volt meter so we can do some testing?

no I do not, sadly

I know what is wrong but I can not diagnose why without a tool. Would you like to buy or borrow a tool or like my partial answer now?

Can't live talk, my phone reception is really bad. Other helpful information: rapid clicking with key out of ignition and speedometer andodometer needles act sporadic.
partial answer now please

Your alternator is not charging the battery. Since the alternator is new, there is likely a fuse or wire issue to the starter to blame for this. The battery running out of voltage is causing all the symptoms you have.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Could the voltage regulator in the alternator be faulty?

If the replacement alternator is good then no it should not be to blame. However yes, the regulator is one of many possible causes.

ok thank you! I will investigate and get back with you... probably tomorrow

Thanks