Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ron. 1999 Honda Accord with a 3.0l engine. Is this a

interference motor that will bend...
Ron. 1999 Honda Accord with a 3.0l engine. Is this a interference motor that will bend the valves if the timing belt brakes while going down the highway?
1/5/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

All Honda engines are interference except 3.0L & 3.2 which are considered Non-interference engines.The engine valve(s) should not hit the pistons if the belt breaks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do a timing belt and I should be good to go?

Yes, its not considered an interference engine so providing there is no other issue replacing the belt should do it.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
10:4 thanks for your help today
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I put a new belt and water pump on this and it started and idled fine, it drives good too, except when I come to a stop and take off, it wants to buck and jerk when it tries shifting. also after shutting it off and go to restart after the engine is hot, it doesn't start good, it acts as if its out of time, it backfires and then it starts to idle fine, each time it acts like this it is setting a code P0336, what do I need to do?

This code usually set if your cam timing is off. That would also explain the way it running as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what bout a bad crankshaft sensor, the old belt had shreaded and wrapped itself around the crank gear and I think the sensor is down in that area

That is a possibility as well if you're sure the timing is properly aligned. The CKP dose mount at the bottom of the engine under the timing cover as well. So you can have a look at it and check belt alignment at the same time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, thank you, ***** ***** good weekend

Your very welcome and you as well.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician