Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

It is a 2004 F-150 Lariat with the large V8 engine with

It is a 2004...

It is a 2004 F-150 Lariat with the large V8 engine with 189,00 miles. It began knocking a few days ago and the engine inspection light came on. The Ford dealership tells me that "internal oil pressure is low, timing chain is slack and you a new engine or truck." They offered to replace the engine with a long block for $9500. Am thinking it is not that bad but not sure.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Noise is from the engine. It began two days ago. The engine inspection light was two weeks ago. I took it into the Ford folks and they told me it was a coil and #5 plug needed replacing. Nothing about oil pressure and timing chain.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is at the local Ford dealership. They replaced the #5 plug and coil about two weeks ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have always done the required maintenance and oil changes.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Which engine do you have?

Did they remove the oil pressure sending unit and install a manual oil pressure gauge and read the actual oil pressure?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think it is a 5.4 or 5.6 liter and it is a V8.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't know how they measured the oil pressure.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They just looked at on 12/27/2017 and told me the problem was the #5 plug and coil and charged $500 to check it and get the work done.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If the engine is that bad, it surely would have been that way on Dec. 27th but nothing about oil pressure or the timing was mentioned.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The truck is a 2004 F-150 Lariat.

Okay, its a 5.4 and unfortunately the 5.4 does have internal starvation problems due to restricted oil passages which cause the cam tensioners to start for oil and with the number of miles you have on the engine that is very likely what you have going on here. Was it knocking back on the 27th when they repair the misfire?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it was. Is the sole option to replace the engine?

Did they remove the oil pressure sending unit and install a manual gauge and read the actual oil pressure to be sure it's actually low?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it not possible to wash or clean out the oil passages? If you call me that is fine.

You can try doing an engine flush by adding some engine flush solution to the oil and it may help but if the passages are really restricted it does not usually do the job. You have nothing to lose by at least trying this first.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Anyone still on the line now??

Yes I am responding to you , are you not seeing my responses?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They were hidden by all the pop ups asking me to use a live phone call for this conversation.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any other advice? Why not re-adjust the timing chain and wash out the channels?

The timing chains is not adjustable, the tension on them is done by the oil pressure to the tensioners. I would at least try doing an engine flush and see if that help. If its does not then the fix does, unfortunately, require replacing the engine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will sign off for now unless you have any more recommendations.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK and thanks!
How do I sign off??

I would try the flush and see if it will clean the passages up some. Your last response was your sign off. Thank you as well.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Phone call session started
Ron, ASE Certified Technician