Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Truck stalls at stop when cold, check engine light is not on…

Customer Question
Truck stalls at stop...

Truck stalls at stop when cold

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

Check engine light is not on but car stalls some when cold at stop

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2001 Ford F-150 V-8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

The check engine light was on and a sensor of some sort was repaced

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
1/3/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Can you keep the engine running if you give it a bit of gas when it tries to stall?

Is your engine the 4.6 or the 5.4?

it will keep running if giving gas, 5.4
I would like to talk online

Okay, thank you for that information. The most common cause for the type of stalling issue you are having is in most cases caused by a dirty and sticking IAC (idle air control valve) and you can usually remove it and give it a good cleaning with some carb cleaner and solve this. While you have it off you should also give the throttle body a good cleaning as well including the throttle bore. The IAC mount to the intake plenum just to the side of the throttle body. See the removal steps in the link below. Before you remove the IAC be sure to disconnect the negative battery cable to reset the computer after the cleaning is done.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rvrmh910di1td7/IAC%20Jan%203.pdf?dl=0

please answer

I have posted my answer in the link above. Are you not able to view it?

If not then see it again in this post.

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.