Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Low heat inside cab

Customer Question
Low heat inside cab
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/3/2018
Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 3 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

What is the year, make, model of the vehicle?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5 star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

2002 Ford F150 Crew 4.8l engine. Little to no heat inside cab at idle. Engine temp is normal.
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 3 months ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

do you still nee help??

Roy

ok

when the truck is hot are both hoses going into the truck from the outside hot??

when you move the control from hot to cold and back, can you hear the mode door move??

Roy

Let me start by telling you what I have done. I have replaced the heater core, the radiator, the belt, the heater hoses, the actuator door, and the actuator. I have 120 degrees blowing from the vent at idle, will go up to 140 driving. Both hoses are hot, inlet hotter than outlet.

ok, the post was not clear. thank you

did you bleed the system?? other than that it looks like a circulation issue such as the water pump no pushing enough coolant through the heater core

Roy

has it ever overheated??

Have bled the system by filling and burping, unless there is a procedure to bleeding this engine I am unaware of?? Please say there is

the way I bleed them is this way. I remove the radiator cap run the engine at 1200 rpm for 5 minutes watching the coolant level and topping off as needed. install the cap and then drop to idle.

Roy

Same here. Thats the way I do it. Any other ideas?

ok if both hoses are hot, the mode door is working it only leaves the core. I know it is new but if some debris got into the new core from the cooling system it could clog it up.

Roy

Checked it earlier today, has great flow

it is the only thing left unless you have an issue inside the case. the fact you have good heat driving along says there is no issue inside.

Wish I was there to help you with this one

Roy

Technically it should blow hotter than 140 driving with it having a 190 degree thermostat, shouldn't it?

135-150 is average. it will not blow 160 and above.

what should it be at idle?

no more than 10 degrees difference from running down the road

Roy

should have 140 at idle?

what is the temp of the air running down the road?? you stated 140 so it should be around 130

Roy

Seems low to me, but let's get it to 130. How do we do that?

I am here and not there. check all he seals around the case and the outside vents to be sure there are no leaks.

Roy

I checked the evap case when installing the heater core, and all duct work was together and lined up while the dash was out. I see no obvious leaks in the air flow. I realize you are there, and I am here, but I thought the purpose of me paying you was for you to help me, thus WE, fixing this issue. Is that not the case?

not without me seeing this case.

you have not paid me anything. you paid the site. I only get paid when you accept my answers

I will opt out and see if anyone else has any better ideas

you have a great night

Roy

Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 3 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

I see you opted out the other tech.

Can I try to help?

Please do

2 experts into this and no resolve, so I am just going to start over.

Engine running at operating temp, heat on hot, blower on high.

Grab the upper radiator hose, it should feel like 180-200 degrees. Now grab both heater core hoses at the firewall do they feel around 160-180?

They are both hot, one a little hotter than the other. Heater core, radiator(was leaking), water pump, thermostat, heater blend door, actuator have all been replaced. Heat at idle in 60 degree garage gets 100-110 at normal operating temp. Have seen as high as 120. Rev it to about 2000 rpm and hold and temp will rise to 160

I knew where we need to look next until your last sentence "Rev it to about 2000 rpm and hold and temp will rise to 160"

At idle guesstimate the temp on heater hose 1 and 2. Hold it at 2000 rpms and give me the temps hose 1 and 2 now

Let me warm it up and I will hit it with a laser

That will be great.

At idle Hose 1 105
Hose 2 116
At 2000 RPM Hose 1 148
Hose 2 142
The hose numbers are switched, but you get the idea

Thanks, ***** ***** way to cold. For reference, what is the temp on the upper radiator hose near the thermostat?

148

That is too cold as well. Can you test your temp gun to something you know is accurate? Like a glass of ice water 32. Something inside your house around 72 degrees assuming that is the temp?

I checked it against my pyrometer gauge and it is within 2 degrees

Thanks, ***** ***** needs to be under the hood in this case. You should have gotten the hose temps like I mentioned prior and your 30-60 degrees colder than those. Your thermostat is either stuck open or the water pump impeller is worn out and not moving enough coolant. I would start with a thermostat replacement first. You mentioned the heater core flushed well, so we should not need to check there for a restriction. Also, make sure your fan clutch is not locked up and cooling to much.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

The water pump is brand new. The customer brought it to me saying local Ford garage had just replaced the thermostat, problem was there before that.

Something is making this engine not circulate enough coolant to get heat to the heater core or the coolant is flowing freely and not stopping in the engine to get hot enough from a thermostat concern. The concern is not inside the dash. I would remove the thermostat and check there.

I replaced the thermostat after you suggesting this, and for about an hour I had heat, then it dropped off worse than it was previously. Any ideas? Seems to me it must be in that area for that to act that way?

Remove the thermostat and the lower radiator hose and heater hoses. Flush the radiator, core, and engine with a hose forward and backward. Do this many times till its clean. Then reassemble everything and refill with coolant, it will need to be a stronger being there is residual water in the engine. I am thinking someone has put stop leak in it and its getting stuck in the thermostat and causing it to stick open.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

I flushed the entire system, removed all the hoses, flushed both ways, until clear water came out, then filled with anti-freeze, same problem. I did find that if I warm the engine inside the garage, I get 140 degrees, but if I start it outside I do good to get 120, sometimes it stays at 80, engine running normal temp on scanner and dash. When starting outside, the engine doesn't even want to get full temp outside on its own. Any suggestions?

What parts have been replaced so far?

We need to hurry up because this post will time out tomorrow from not being rated. I do not want you to feel like I am not responding because I can no longer see the post.

Have replaced:
Radiator
Water Pump
Thermostat
Heater Core
Heater Hoses

Since your engine is not getting to operating temp, it has to be freezing cold outside or your fan is stuck on and cooling the radiator and engine to much. As long as all those parts are good and installed right. You have to get the engine to operating temp around 190-200 before you can get the heater core hotter.

Engine can run for 30 minutes and not be up to temp.. I have stopped the clutch fan so it couldn't cool the engine.

Maybe your thermostat is wrong or upside down.

Changed it twice, definitely not upside down. I'm at a loss,

The last thing I can think of is to install a hotter running thermostat.

Possible head gasket?

That would cause overheating and coolant loss.

No solution at this point?

You have to overlooking something we have covered to have a concern with the engine running too cold. An engine will run too cold from a fan or thermostat issue or it is extremely cold outside. Did you install a hotter thermostat yet?

I have installed the hottest thermostat I can get, 192. Like I said before, the engine shows it is running normal temp by the scanner and dash gauge, just not putting the heat out. It is about 10 degrees here, but that shouldn't keep it from producing heat. It comes and goes at times, makes no sense.

While running in park at operating temp your upper radiator hose should be about 190 degrees. Do you get that result?

If not if you use a stick to hold the throttle at 2000 rpms, does the hose then remain that temp?

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician