Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 99 ranger with a 3.0 was wondering if the cylinder…

Customer Question
I have a 99...

I have a 99 ranger with a 3.0 was wondering if the cylinder location and coil location are the same as far as numbering goes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and no result yet. tried using a diagram on line that was incorrect.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just had engine transplanted. was told it was just a misfire. was running perfect for about 20 miles, then the lights dimmed, engine lost a ton of power and started misfiring. i stopped the vehicle and all went back to normal. started going again and the same problem came back. stopped and same thing. NOW it won't go at all.can't get going enough for 2nd gear

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Fluctuate. and stayed like that for 3 hours. so it isn't the alternator.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
1/3/2018
Ford Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 1 month ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Miss fires can be caused by a lot of things. From all that you have posted, the first thing I would do would be to do a fuel pressure test. The fuel pressure should be around 62 psi.

The cylinders for your engine are set up so that cylinders 1,2,3 are on the passenger side, and 4,5,6 are on the drivers side.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no tester available. is there another way to test fuel pressure?

Most auto parts stores have them on there loaner tool programs. Can you see if a parts store near you has one to loan?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this is fine
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they put new plugs in when they swapped the engine. the wires are the same. should i go ahead and change those?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
should i check the plug gap?

If it was running good when the first put it in, the plugs and wires should be ok, unless there is a low fuel pressure problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
also the engine came out of an automatic. went into a standard 5 speed. they said they had to do something maybe with the cpu. could that be having an effect?

The only thing they would have had to do would be to swap the flex plate for your flywheel. The base engines are the same.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
computer?

NO. You need to do some testing first and not just start swapping parts. Did you check and see if the auto parts stores near you have a tester?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not yet but i will

Then lets see what the fuel pressure is first, then we can move on the the other test to find out for sure what is wrong.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my phone is blowing up. can the cell phone texts stop? can you make that happen on your end?

I am not sending any texts.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician