Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford f150 4.6, changed the idle control valve because it was…

Customer Question
Ford f150 4.6, changed...

Ford f150 4.6, changed the idle control valve because it was making noise, now it runs horribly and the check engine light flashes, what is the cause?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Blinks.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your F150?

1998

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing myself. It was fine until I changed the idle control valve.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/3/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Your check engine light flashing means the computer system is seeing a direct engine misfire. If you run a computer scan it will tell you which cylinder is dropping out. Can you get the scan done and let me know the fault code?

I diconnected the battery because I thought the computer needed to be reset, so there is no code stored and I have not driven it.
Is it ok to drive to the shop if I need to?

Yes, it should be okay to drive it to have it scanned before you head out to get under the hood and make sure you do not have a plug wire off of any of the cylinders and or the coils. If not then get the scan done and post back when you have the fault code and we can work from there.

Ford Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.