Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2010 F150 5.4L. Truck will not crank. relay in dash clicks,

Customer Question
2010 F150 5.4L....

2010 F150 5.4L. Truck will not crank. relay in dash clicks, Steering wheel doesn't lock, anti-theft comes on solid for few seconds then goes out. Check engine light, inti-skid light and wrench light cycle on and off. Battery charged. Help

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

IT blinks, then when I put key in, it comes on solid for about 2-3 seconds then goes out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I will, I just had exhaust manifolds changed. Drove truck last night with no problems. went to start today and no start. I checked codes and no codes are set.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Truck has 157,000 miles on it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
1/3/2018
Ford Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

sorry this is happening, lets see what we can figure out.

so when you go to crank it does the dash lose power like the truck is under load or does nothing seem to change?

the first thing i would want to do is jump the starter relay and see if we can activate the starter, that would be the first place i want to start to verify that the starter in fact works. it can be a coincidence or it can be something got damaged or shorted when changing the manifolds.

Lou

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will have to try this when I get back home. Is the relay on the starter or on the fender somewhere?

relay is in the fuse box in the engine bay, clearly labeled starter relay for once lol

so remove the relay and jump a wire across where terminals 3 and 5 go to from the relay and the starter should crank, if not the starter is the issue or power at the starter.

i will be on later today as well so feel free to reply back later when you are with the truck.

Lou

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks

sure no problem

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lou you On? I did as you asked and it started right up

hello

sorry took so long.

so since the starter kicked in that means that the circuit is good and something is preventing the truck from starting.

does the dash show Park correctly?

what about neutral?

Lou P.
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician