Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Service accutrac light ,no power steering ,turn signal not…

Customer Question
Service accutrac light ,no...

Service accutrac light ,no power steering ,turn signal not working

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Unable to turn steering wheel enough to get out of drive

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2011 f150 5liter 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Installed new battery took to dealer once they said nothing wrong with vehicle

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Seems to happen when temps get very cold outside

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
1/3/2018
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 1 month ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, so this only happens when its cold out? It works fine (everything) during warmer temperatures? Has any repairs been made in an attempt to fix this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
replaced battery took to dealer unable to find anything wrong took home drove fine 1 day the next same problem

Ok , more than likely this is an issue with the electronic power steering rack. With it turning on the accutrac light there will be diagnositc trouble codes stored. When you replaced the battery it probably cleared any codes stored. To be certain it has to be diagnosed when the problem is occuring/now. If it was working fine when the dealer checked it they probably didnt want to recommend a repair without verifying it. There is a Technical Service bulletin to replace the rack for other steering issues.

Since it is an electronic rack. It uses a computer module that has to be reprogrammed when it is replaced and a wheel alignment done at the same time. This would mainly be done at a dealer or a shop with module reprogramming tools.

If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I disconnected the battery today to clear computer reconnected and the code is still there and the steering not working turn signals not working properly this problem started 4 days ago when the temps went below 20 degrees could it be in the computer

It can be, but you must have the codes pulled using a scan tool that can communicate with the EPAS system and ABS system as well. If you keep clearing the memory you will make it harder to diagnose properly. There are multiple computer systems that control all of these items. The turn signal issue may be something to do with the turn signal switch., the EPAS system, the Steering column control module.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans