Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When I put it in 4wd nothing happens. I have a brand new…

Customer Question
When I put it...

When I put it in 4wd nothing happens. I have a brand new shift motor.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

It’s origional and no no leaking

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2004 F150

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed relays new shift motor. The vacuum system is working as it should it’s just that when I turn the switch nothing happens. I have tested the switch and it works fine on a different truck so the switch is good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have checked the fuses and they are also good

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
1/3/2018
Ford Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

Did you happen to retrieve any 4WD codes?

It sounds like all that is left to check is the module itself

No but the check engine light is not on either

if you can get the codes it would greatly reduce the possiblilities since you did a vacuum leak check and it all passed.

How would I go about getting the codes? Do I have to take it to the dealer?

Dealer, or someone that has a compatible scan tool such as another repair shop. You did do a vacuum test on each hub right?

The hubs are both engaged right now as it is stuck in 4 low. I had to manually move it to 4 low to get out of my driveway.

If you manually activate the 4wd it does not mean the vacuum system is good unless you put vacuum and it held great

Even though the wheel ends are engaged. The system worked great a week ago then I was driving in 4hi and the motor went out and the transfer case walked into neutral. Is it possible that when doing that it messed up the pcm?
I had a maintenance guy at the shop vacuum test the lines at the iwe and they checked out good. Do you think the scanner they use at autozone would tell me what is wrong? I am getting no power to the 4wd relays no matter what position the switch is in.
No you need a scanner that can read the 4wd module, if it shows communication error module can be bad.
Is there a way to test the module without a scan?
Not entirely since you have to retrieve the computer to see the codes. You can only check for power to the module but you really need to see what codes it may have you need to read it and reset any possible old codes you can always try disconnecting the battery then reconnect to see if it starts working
How long does it need to be disconnected? Where is the module located so I can test for power there?
It is located behind glove box passenger side, and only for about 3 minutes holding the terminals together
Now this truck is a new body style not the heritage. Sorry I didn’t mention that before. Is the above still the same?
should still be the same
Do you happen to have a picture of what it looks like? I can’t seem to find it behind the glove box.
give me second

engine size?

5.4

Yours actually does change to the GEM module which is part of the fuse box inside the vehicle. so gain access to a scan tool that will allow you to read the GEM module.

Access the data functions of the GEM through the scan tool and inspect the open/closed status of the contact plate switch readings with the shift motor plugged in.
In the 2WD position of the shift motor, contact plate B should indicate to be CLOSED and the other contact plate switches should indicate a value of OPEN.

Leaving the shift motor connected, backprobe and connect a standard 12-volt test light between the Orange (OG) wire and the Yellow (YE) wire at the shift motor connection and check for illumination of the test light during the relay clicking activity. If the test light will illuminate at the time of the lack of transfer case shift operation, it will suggest that either the shift motor is weak, or, that the transfer case is mechanically binding and not allowing the shift motor to move it.
If there is no illumination of the test light at the point of no shift with the relay clicking activity present, access the shift relay module and perform circuit testing at the module connector to determine if the shift relay module is defective.

Ok checked the motor like you said nothing. Then checked all the wires on the relay box and nothing. Isn’t there supposed to be wires to the relays that are always hot?
What do you mean nothing?
No power to the CW and the CCW relays. There is power to the ac relay and power to the 5 amp fuse but the shift motor relays are dead.
Ok not around any diagrams right now can I follow up and return to you this evening when I get off work?
Ok
Should be available around 8pm central time see you then :)
Slight delay but will be available around 9 for you :)
Ok

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0ul63lmeyhh5oz/relay.pdf?dl=0

Here is the wiring diagram. You should have power at the relay by the fuse as shown on diagram. Go over it and let me know if you have any questions.

Have you got any questions as of now?

Is that for an 04-08 f150 esof
It should be if the colors match if you want to give me the vin I can verify
1ftrwi4wi4kb74860

Its giving me no results based on your vin so I can not fully verify the accuracy completely for you. My apologies. Do you happen to know if the wiring colors are matching up?

No well some do but not all and that diagram shows two solenoids and my truck only has one

Yours is the one with the red wire im assuming?

On the relays?

I was referring to the solenoid

Oh yeah there is only one vacuum solenoid

ok the other one it says is for 4x2 models is not really for 4wd

please take a moment to leave me a rating so I can receive credit for the question, it would mean so much to me :). We can still continue even after rating.