Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bower V-8. The theft light…

Customer Question
Hello , I have 1998...
Hello , I have 1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bower V-8. The theft light is blinking. Battery fully charge and starter sounds good but it won’t start. Thank you, Greg
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

With the key in the run, position is this when the theft light flashing is noticed?

Is the light flashing fast 3 times per second?

the key is in run position when theft light flashes. The theft light is flashing continuously fast. So fast flashing all the time.
Ok. Online is ok.

Do you get the same results from both of your keys?

Do you have access to a diagnostic tool?

Only one key. And no access to a diagnostic tool.

Unfortunately, you are stuck in this situation. There is no way to bypass this system. Either the chip inside your one key has failed or the PATS transceiver is no longer working and able to read the key code. You need a diagnostic tool to see which codes are stored to see which repair is needed. One that is done then the same tool needs to access the security system which takes 10 minutes. Once in you will need to have 2 keys programmed to the vehicle before it will start. You may want to call a local locksmith to see if they can come to you so you can avoid the tow.

If a call is still needed, let me know and include your first name.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

With the key in the run position the blinking theft light stops blinking quickly and blinks in increments of three at a time like you mention

The answer still applies. With the key in the run position if there is not a PATS issue the theft light will come on solid for 5 seconds then go off and remain off.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris