Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I related the solenoid, the alternator, and the battery.

Customer Question
I related the solenoid...

I related the solenoid, the alternator, and the battery. Interior light comes on. Nothing else. Will not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

Related should be "replaced".

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1991 Ranger XLT

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Maybe the location of fuses.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

When you say it will not start are you saying it will not crank over?

Do you have an automatic transmission or a standard?

No cranking sound. Automatic transmission. Interior light is on
No this way is fine
Do I need to replace the starter?

Okay, start first with making sure the power supply fuse located in the under hood fuse panel is in place and has power in and out if it. If the fuse check okay then go to the neutral safety switch located in the drive side of the transmission and with a volt meter and or a 12 volt test light see if you have power into the switch on the pink wire and out of it on the red/blue wire while having a helper hold the ignition switch in the crank position. Let's check this first before we replace any more parts.

Going outside to do this.

Okay let me know your results and we can work from there.

I do not have a helper for the wire check.
Power at the battery, solenoid, and fuse block.

Okay with the key in the crank position do you have power at the small red/blue wire at the solenoid and if so does the solenoid click when you try to start the engine?

I did what you recommended no crank.

Did you check to see if you have power at the solenoid on the red/blue wire with the key in the crank position?

Okay so do you have power to it with the key in the crank position and did it click?

Negative
Are there fuses inside the truck under the steering column?

Okay, then that indicates you have no power to it so now your back to checking this same circuit in and out of the neutral safety switch, the pink wire with the key in the crank position is power in and the same red/blue wire out of the switch is power out.

I did that . Got power there.

Okay on both wires?

I have decided to take it to a local shop.

That may be a good idea if electrical is not your strong suit.

Close this conversation.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician