Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1979 Ford F-250 that won't start. When you turn the…

Customer Question
I have a 1979...

I have a 1979 Ford F-250 that won't start. When you turn the key I get nothing, but it will start if I bridge the solenoid with a screwdriver

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

It's in park

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

New battery, solenoid

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just had it to an audio place to have a new radio installed, didn't have this problem before that

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
1/2/2018
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 6 months ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

possible causes

1. ignition switch

2. neutral/safety switch

3. wiring issue.

do the back up lights work?? good indication if the neutral safety switch is working.

check the connector at the ignition switch for damage or burned pins.

Roy

Back up lights work, and the ignition switch is okay

ok, then you verified power out of the switch??

then that leaves a wring issue. inspect the harness for any damage or breaks. considering the age of the truck it may be hard finding the break.

Roy

I tried to use your call feature to have you call me and it's not working

I have nothing to do with that. I am an independent contractor for the site and we only answer questions.

try the customer service link. they will respond and help you

Roy

Is there a diagram for a wiring harness? Like I said I had it in to an audio shop to have a new radio installed I didn't have this problem before that. How would I make sure it's connected properly

I will check

as far as the radio, no. the starting circuit is a separate circuit from the cab harness

Roy

I have power to the radio when I tiurn the ignition on it just won't crank, I get nothing but when I bridge the solenoid with a screwdriver it will turn over and start?

you are applying direct power to engage solenoid.

check the wire at the solenoid for power with the key in the start position

Roy

Which wire?

the little wire on the solenoid

Roy

There are two little wires, a black one and a red one. Those wires connect to posts one post has an I on it the other has an S on it

S terminal. the other is a wire to the module so it gets power in the start position

Roy

I'm a complete novice at this, please don't laugh at me but how do I check it for power? The reason I'm doing this is because I can't afford to take to anyone and it's my only mode of transportation

ok no worries

do you have a voltmeter or test light???

Roy

No but I can get one. If you could tell me the steps as to how to check it and where to check it and what it should do that would be great

when you get a volt meter, put the black lead to the negative of the battery. the red lead goes into the wire end with the S terminal. have someone turn the key to the start position and tell me the voltage

Roy

I will be off for a little bit. be back on a little later

Okay thank you

back when you are ready

any update