Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 f150 4.6. Replaced battery, alternator and solenoid on…

2002 f150 4.6....

2002 f150 4.6. Replaced battery, alternator and solenoid on fire wall. Something is draining the battery bad.

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Strange thing. battery read 12.8 with truck off. When you turn it on you can watch the voltage dive on the voltmeter down to under 6 volts.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am. new battery, alternator and starter solenoid. only thing I can think of that would draw that much would be the starter, but it seems to be fine when you jump the truck

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Last night, I charged the battery back up to 12.8 volts, started the truck volts fell to 6. when i shut the truck off. volts on battery started climbing again, went back to 12. never seen it before.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

So with the truck running the battery voltage drops to 6 volts?

Steadt drop down to around 6 volts until it dies out

This does not sound like you have a draw but instead, it sounds like the alternator is not charging. Even with a draw, a properly charging alternator should read right at 13.5 to 14 volts with the engine running. If you take a volt meter and at the alternator with the engine running and the alternator plugged in do you have battery voltage on the black/orange wire as well as the orange/lite blue wire and the green/red wire?

I'm at work. I'll check the voltage at the alternator when i get home. Thanks.

Please do and let me know the results and we can work from there. All three wire need battery voltage in order for the alternator to charge. If you find any of them dead then there are 3 fuses that you will need to check. See the alternator wiring diagram in the link below for testing reference as well. Check this for me and we can work from there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/znucdobs5cyme2a/Alternator%20Jan%202.pdf?dl=0

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
It was a fuse. Like u mentioned. Thanks for your help. Happy New Year.

I suspected as much, glad to hear you got it resolved and have a great new year as well.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician