Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I replaced the cruise control switch on my 2000 explorer and…

Customer Question
I replaced the cruise...

I replaced the cruise control switch on my 2000 explorer and all I get is the flashing green light . The cruise control does not work.

Mechanic's Assistant: While using the cruise control can you accelerate or decelerate? Have you checked the fuses?

The cruise control does not seem to engage. I have not checked the fuses.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I ordered a new steering wheel switch. I replaced it and now all I get is the flashing cruise control indicator light.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The cruise control was working before I replaced the switch. The reason I replaced because the plastic tabs that hold the switch to the steering wheel broke off.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
1/2/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Can you do this tests to speed up the diagnostic process? https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tp1ealylu9csac/lashcodes.png?dl=0 This will tell us what to begin checking on.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Thank you for your answer. I went through the sequence as you instructed. The only thing I can get is a flashing indicater light. Would that indicate a bad servo.

It should indicate a bad servo. Prior to replacing it there are some tests I would like to do there with a volt-ohm meter. Could you do that?

I just had knee surgery,so I am unable to do anything outside of the car. Is it possible that when I replaced the switch that I reversed the ribbon connector.

Knee surgery, been there done that, need that again.

Never looked to see if you could plug it up wrong. I would imagine the answer is no.

Can I perform the vom tests from the steering wheel

The only thing you can test there are the switches, that will not test any inputs to the speed control servo.

I would like to know if there is a right or wrong way to plug the ribbon connector to the switches

Ford has no connector view for this connector because it is to old and they have deleted those files. I would need to see a picture of the connector to see if it is even possible. Rarely ever are connectors designed to be plugged up backward.

Since the speed control was working before I tried to install the new switches I suspect that I may have done something to short the servo. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the new switches are not compatible with the car

The switches can not short out the servo being the they work off of a resistance signal to the servo, however, the signal being received by the servo from the switches can be incorrect.

After I installed the new switches and they did not work. I tried to install the old switches and they would not work either. What determines whether the servo is getting a signal from the switches.

I think a wire diagram would show you better. https://www.dropbox.com/s/x84v9lioh7y2bqi/speed123.pdf?dl=0 The servo sends a voltage to the switches. The switches are resistors. Once a switch is pressed a signal is returned to the servo so it can tell which button is pressed.