Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My starter won't disengage even after the battery AND

My starter won't disengage...

My starter won't disengage even after the battery AND solenoid have been unhooked. There is a spot on my ground strap that has been burned and is only half the width it was when I bought it (like it was shorting on the solenoid). What could the issue be?

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

It tries to turn over, but the starter is already spinning.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

94 F-150, 4.9L efi manual trans

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

When it first refused to disengage, I disconnected the battery. Today, I unhooked the entire solenoid on the fender, but the starter still tried to start the truck when I reconnected the battery (with the solenoid unhooked).

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When I was working on the solenoid, I noticed the ground strap from the battery was burned, like it had been shorting out (the solenoid is the only thing close enough to short on).

1/2/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Just to make sure I understand, when you connect the battery the engine starts cranking on its own?

Even when I disconnected the solenoid.

At the starter, you need to do some wire testing. The large wire should always be powered because it is connected to the battery. The small wire goes to the starter relay. This small wire should only be powered when you want the starter to spin. So you need to test the starter not mounted to see if it is getting stuck on once powered and then power is removed from the small wire. If that is the case then the starter is bad. While the truck is running if the starter stays engaged with no power to the starter then that is going to be a starter bendix or flywheel issue. If the small wire is staying powered after releasing the key then you have a bad relay or the relay is still getting commanded on the small red/light blue wire from the ignition switch.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
I had a tow truck come and get it, and take it to my mechanic. Easier that way.

Glad you are getting it resolved.