Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

When starting car, or even periodically while driving, the…

Customer Question
When starting car, or even...
When starting car, or even periodically while driving, the heater blower will not blow. It will spontaneously kick on after no certain amount of time. Blows hot and hard, just need it too all the time
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please cancel, didn’t realize the category was Ford, this car is a Nissan
1/1/2018
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Its ok im a nissan tech I can help, so have you replaced anything to fix this yet?

whats the year make and model?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2007 Altima Sedan (Base)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s all original. 240k miles so it’s done well

so most likely cause for that would be the blower motor resistor, first I would check the connectors on the blower motor and resistor there to make sure nothing is burnt or bad connection, wiggle them after the inspection if they are good to make sure that there isnt a connection problem while operating system

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did remove the small horizontal panel below the controls and originally when I reached up and wiggled the wires it would kick on. Now that doesn’t even work, it just starts up when it wants.

ok do the inspection as stated above and let me know what you come up with

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where on the blower is the resistor and what will it look like?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0zhkpggtt1hyp1c/mon5.docx?dl=0

the resistor is on the blow motor you will need to remove the glove box to access, here are the instructions

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
interesting thing, it seems my year/model of Altima does not have a resistor on the blower motor but instead is controlled by a BCM

maybe I have the wrong information, do you have a vin number so I can verify my documents?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No need, thanks for your time but like originally stated, I should have posted to Nissan expert.

I am a nissan expert thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Than they have you in the wrong category because this was a Ford category. Not knocking your intelligence on vehicles as you have great ratings. Just were off on this Nissan

kind if hard to get you the right info with out a vin number

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Year and model should have been enough. This model year did not use resistors on blower motor. I didn’t know until I tried finding a replacement just in car mine was bad.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
case

well have a great day then

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No harm no foul, we’re good. I posted this same question in the Nissan forum and got an answer within moments that this was a common problems with Nissans in this range of years. That they see it all the time. The blower motor relay on back of fuse block starts going screwy. Quick easy fix and the problem is gone!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
maybe it’s a win win, my car is fixed and you can use this information going forward too. Have a nice day sir
Ron, ASE Certified Technician