Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford escape 2003 v6 having charging/alt problems. The

Customer Question
Ford escape 2003 v6...

Ford escape 2003 v6 having charging/alt problems

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

The alternator charges fine when I start the vehicle cold. Good charging voltage, no problems when I turn the vehicle off and restart it warm, low or no charging voltage. battery light on, eventually battery drains and car dies. So the alt works when the car starts cold, does not charge when the car starts warm

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?

The battery load tests fine, holds charge fine The alternator works fine when it's started cold, tests fine when the car is started warm, it doesn't supply any charge voltage

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
1/1/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

If you take a voltmeter or a 12-volt test light and at the alternator with the engine running and voltage has dropped and everything connected back probe the Yellow/white wire as well as the black/yellow wire and the green/red wire what are the voltage readings on all three wire. Check this for me and let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do you mean by "back probe" how do I back probe something?
Can you tell me or show me where to probe the wires, I don't know what loom to check or where to "back probe".
Do you have any ideas as to why the alt works when cold and not when warm?

You can either probe the insulation on the wire at the connector or probe into the connector where the wire goes into it. You will want to do this right at the connector where it plugs into the alternator. If it works when its cold then you likely are dealing with either a connection issue or something failing in the alternator once it heats up. If you find you do have voltage on all three wires with the engine running and the alternator is not charging then the problem would be with the alternator. All three wire need voltage for the alternator to charge properly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As I had previously said, it works when cold and not when warm. Probing the wires confirms this. I wanted to know if there's any reason that the cold/warm issue would happen, if you don't have any ideas that's OK I'll research it elsewhere.

It likely that something is breaking down within the alternator or you're losing the connection to it on one of the power feeds and to narrow this down you need to check the voltage on all three when it is not charging. If all three wire show battery voltage and its not charging then the problem is with the alternator , if one or more of the wires shows low or no voltage then the problem is with the circuit on that wire. To narrow it down the testing needs to be done when its not charging.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician