Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer Sports Trac, when I shift into 4…

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer Sports Trac, when I shift into 4 wheel high or low, none of the indicator lights come on. What is the first thing to check after the fuse block. Assuming those are all right what is the next thing to check. I also hear a relay click up under the dash board on the passenger side dash board. Any suggestions where to start giagnosing?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

147,000 approximately and the car starts normally unless I don’t flip a ground shift off each night. Otherwise it drains unless I drive it everday. The check enchine light is on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I bought it new.it seems to run real well ingnoring the problems. The click under the dash continues more rapidly if I have not flipped the ground switch, and the battery is weak. The the problem with the battery has eaten up many batteries. The radio comes on intermittently if I don’t cut the ground. Sorry for so many questions!

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
1/1/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 3 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Normally this ends up being the shift motor on the transfer case to blame. Rather than basing an answer on assumption and odds you can diagnose and be for sure what is the issue so it is fixed right the first time. To do that you follow these steps. https://www.dropbox.com/s/tzj40jqtxjoxd93/sporttrac.pdf?dl=0

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician