Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Just bought 2000 excursion diesel. Previous owner installed…

Customer Question
Just bought 2000 excursion...

Just bought 2000 excursion diesel. Previous owner installed 2001 heated seats but are not connected. Can I wire them in without a whole lot of headache? I’m thinking of trying to tie into original plug in floor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

Heated seat wires are red/black content 12V blue/pink ignition and black for ground.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Excursion yourself? What have you tried so far?

Got light to come on on drivers side button but not sure if the element is heating up. Light does not come on on passenger side button.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
1/1/2018
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

You will need a heated seat module for both of those to work properly, each seat has one they are located underneath the seat heres the removal procedure, see if yours has them

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i96di2scdqeczfx/printou7.docx?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Both modules are there

OK make sure these fuses are in there slot fuse 107 its a 30 amp in underhood fuse panel and fuse 6 and 28 in left side of dash 15 amp, plugged up the harness and it should work

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is no harness for the heated seats only on 3 prong plug on driver side for power driver seat. Vehicle didn’t have factory heated seats

it should still be wired for it have you pried around for the connectors under the carpet they could be tapped up

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no other connections none at all on passenger side

if you have the module and switches you just need some powers and grounds, heres the diagram it will show you what to add power to, if you cant find the harness for that I would just get a couple add a fuses and put them on switched empty slots and run your power that way

https://www.dropbox.com/s/82f69kofv0bha6q/printou8.docx?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I wired hot to hot ignition to hot with 30 amp fuse in line. And ground. Driver seat button light illuminates not sure if actually working. Pass side does not illuminate. Have power to passenger switch at both blue/pink and red.

that should be right, if the switch is on, its sending the power signal to the module. how long have you waited for the drivers to heat up? the passengers may just not have a light illuminated

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not sure if red is hot when button is pushed or not. What can I do if not?
I’ll check tomorrow and get back to ya.

im almost 100% that when the switch is pressed the red is the return power signal, let me know tomorrow what you come up with

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the elements in either seat are working

well that good do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are not working.

so you have power to both red/baclk wires on both modules, power to all the light blue pink wires and verifed each termination is getting power and grounded both modules?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yep

so the next thing is to check voltage at the elements

hows it going?

Ron, ASE Certified Technician