Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer 4.0 It has a PO401 code Exhaust…

I have a 2004 Ford...
I have a 2004 Ford Explorer 4.0 It has a PO401 code Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected.what doe's this mean,and what causes this code?how can I fix it?
1/1/2018
Pete, Mechanic

The reason the code sets is because the ecm isnt detecting egr flow. The most common cause for this is the dpfe valve. It is a plastic valve that has 2 hoses on it that connect to the exhaust pipe that feeds the egr valve. Sometimes the hoses burn and become brittle. Are you going to fix it yourself? If so it is not that hard.

Is it possible for you to send me a Diagram,so I can see the location of this valve?and is dpfe the name of this valve?

It is called a dpfe sensor. Just google Ford DPFE sensor and you will see what I am talking about. I am at home now and dont have excess to my Mitchell Service diagrams.

Pete, Mechanic
OK,thanks.I already rated you

Thank you. Happy new year.

Pete, Mechanic