Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It coughs and sputters when taking off, or when I have

Customer Question
It coughs and sputters...

It coughs and sputters when taking off, or when I have slowed down for a sharp turn and depress the accelerator

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1999 Ford AU 1 automatic 4ltr non XR6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am yeah. my mate got a similar problem and he said it cost him 1600 bux to get it fixed. I do not have that kinda money to spend on a 300dollar car. I have changed the sparkplugs and leads, cleaned the throttle body replaced the injectors and done all major filters and oil/fluid changes

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

1 month ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have been told by a few people that it could be the ECU. I have a spare one here that I know works. I am also having issues with the BCM not turning the interior lights off (shouldn't be related I hope)

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
1/1/2018
Ford Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Sounds like a TFI module in the distributor, or a weak ignition coil.

Gary

Hello again,,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Gary