Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2007 Expedition, no crank, no start, only pats light on

Customer Question
2007 Expedition Mechanic's Assistant:...

2007 Expedition

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

No crank, no start, only pats light on dash, windows work, radio works, running lights work, new battery. If I remove the ground and short the cables to discharge, all is fine for about an hour, then back to same thing again

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

All works perfect after discharging the system

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/31/2017
Ford Mechanic: 6Bucs, Ford Senior Master replied 7 months ago
6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Hello and thanks for your question. My name is James. Is the PATS light blinking rapidly when you try to start it? Do you have a second key to try?
pats light is blinking normally
one key, one remote only
Do you have a test light or a voltmeter for testing?
do you have the owners manual?
I have test light, VOM, Scan tool, no owners manual
Alright. I’m getting some diagrams pulled up. Are the battery cables clean and tight? No corrosion noticed?
Not bad, new battery, bright headlights...
VERY ODDI had swapped the Run/start relay and the PCM relay with the trailer tow/battery charge relay about two hours ago... no change
as you instructed, I just swapped the Blower relay with the starter relay, which I had not tried before, still no change, however when I once again swapped the run/start relay, it started! I swapped them back and it still started...
just tried it again, after waiting 5 min...
no start again...
swapped all relays, still no start
Ok. It sounds like the problem may be intermittent then. Also sometimes we find poor connector pin fit, so look in the cavities for the relays and make sure none of the wire terminals appear to be spread out or pushed in at all. Also check the relays for any brown, black, or burn marks on the terminals. If the problem starts occurring again, you’ll need to have an assistant attempt to start the engine while you check for power st the smaller red wire bolted to the starter on the passenger side of the vehicle. It’s difficult to get to without a hoist and you may need to use the jack to raise the right front of the truck up to get under there. If you have power at the starter terminal when attempting to crank the engine but the starter is not engaging, replace the starter.
IF you have an assistant now, have them attempt to start the engine while you touch the starter relay with your hand. See if you can feel the relay click
I dont think the starter is the problem, As there are no dash lights when there is a no crank issue, all the relays look good, all the contacts appear to be good.
Do you know if all of the feed sides (pin 85) should have positive voltage waiting for the relay to enable, I can check to see if they all have power?

I apologize, I misread the part about the dash lights. ONLY the pats light comes on. Got it.

Ok, this may indicate an issue with the instrument cluster or body control module as well then. Pin 30 is hot at all times. Pin 87 sends power to the starter solenoid. Pin 85 should have power to it when the key is turned to the start position.

starter relay, key on, does not have power on 85, what feeds that?
Key needs to be in the start/crank position. Not the run position.
It’s fed power through the ignition switch
it is live in start position...
still no change...
Wriggled all relays, cables going into that panel...
just applied power to pin 87 of starter relay, with key on, starter engaged, no ignition though.
also applied power to pin 87 of the other two relays, individually, no change either
do you have any other ideas?
it is still doing the same thing...
Ford Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 7 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi I'm David, so when you remove the starter relay you have power in slot 30 and when you jump power from 30 to 87 the starter ranks. did you happen to check for power on 86?

I think it is way before getting to that circuit because there are no lights in the dash showing the system is ready for ignition.
Dash is totally dark other than flashing normally PATs light.
I can check that pin if you believe it is relevant.
It is intermittent for sure. the weird part is, Why does it come back to life if i drain the charge in the system. My thinking if it is a broken connection or wire, it would still be broken...
This happened after I changed two idler pulleys, and the tensioner pully, Im thinking I may have broken a connection somewhere. I am trying to trace the wiring diagram, for these circuits, but Ford isnt making it easy... LOL

let make sure that the pcm is controlling the starter relay. let me pull up a wiring diagram

ok, I see that you had no power on slot 85 with the key held in the start position. is that correct?

Have you checked fuse 27 in the smart junction box behind the right kick panel?

in start position, there was power

ok. good

i have checked all fuses with test light
in BJB & SJB

ok, we are missing the starter relay control from the PCM. you need to do a continuity test of the wire from slot 86 of the relay to the ECM connector C175B position 34

Even though I have power on that pin in the start positioni have to run into town for a bit, i will be back shortly

yes, because the ignition switch is supplying the power to 85, not the pcm

ill be on all day

back at it...isnt 86 ground on the coil side of the relay?
which of the connectors is B passenger or driver side

standby please

found the diagram, if that is the only wire on that circuit, it must be good because the PCM power relay energizes ok

is that wire yellow? it has nothing to do with the pcm power relay energizing. its a totally different function. it controls the ground side of the coil in the starter relay

Starter Relay pin 86 to C175b pin 34?

yes

continuity good on that

when you try to start it does the theft light go out?

no change in theft light

so it stays on when trying to start?

I think it always did?
no change in flashing speed either
not sure if it always stayed on, guess I never payed that much attention

ok, when try to start the engine the theft light needs to go out. if not then PATS has you locked out. Do you have another key?

did you see the earlier part, where I said that if I disconnect the battery, and drain the risidual charge, and reconnect the pattery
headlights flash once, and the car can start...
if left alone, goes back to no start again
only one key and one remote

must have missed that part. I'm not sure on this one then I will open this up to the others to chime in. please do not reply back or it will take the question back off the board.

Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 7 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Can you give me the VIN#?
I want to check Fords database for any technician bulletins on this problem from Ford.

I think you have a module that is failing.

Do you have any way yo scan all the vehicles modules for trouble codes? Not just the PCM (Engine Computer).